Then I had the a marvelous, wonderful, terrible idea. I decided to dye the dress a gunmetal blue so that it wouldn't be so bright. Unfortunately, the dye did not take very well and there are splotches of dye on the front. Not sure if the dye would eventually wash out (handwash wool blend) or not.
Here it is in it's current dyed state without petticoats. I'm imagining that with more soot and applied
grime it might work well for the seedier side of Dickens Fair.
Light beige plaid very lightweight wool blend over peach cotton polyester blend
lining has front smocking/pleating to create a fan front. Hook & eyes up the front,
hidden side pockets, self piping, bust/underarm hollow pads.
Pattern: Laughing Moon #114 View B with adjustments to move arms/sleeves slightly forward. Historically accurate has arms/shoulders roll in a back and down position so that they hang slightly behind torso midline. Modern shoulders tend to roll forward which pull on this dress. Armscye was also cut back at the top of the sleeve. Moved front neckline down, reduced waist and added armpit hollow.
Skirt Length: 38"
Skirt circumference: 146"
 Construction notes
From the notes on Laughing Moon 114 View A, I made changes to View B to change the armhole, reduce the waist, and add in some armpit hollow.
I also changed the closures to the front.
Pinning the back gathers. Always better to have two rows for gathering even if pattern only has one.
Side front on bias means no plaid matching. I messed up the bottom gathers and may need to redo them all. I gathered on top of the seam which is too bulky to gather and I didn't gather far enough towards center front.